Back to all posts

Paths to relocation to Portugal

Mohamed Aboshanab
posted on
November 5, 2021

Today Portugal is a popular destination both for immigrants and travelers.

If a UE resident wants to visit the country, the process of moving is rather simple. The foreigner needs to have an EU passport, register with the tax assertive, and open a bank account.

Non-EU citizens can live and work in Portugal either. But the requirements are not the same. There are three types of visas for non-EU immigrants:

1) Expat Visa. The foreigner can obtain it if he has a passive income.

E.g., You can apply for this visa if you have a job, work remotely, and can show proof of income. In this case, you also have to register in Portugal and pay taxes at a preferred rate.

The requirements are very flexible, and the foreign can live there and work from this country. But this visa doesn't allow aliens to start a business in Portugal.

2) A visa for non-EU citizens who would like to start a business in Portugal.

They need to prove that they have a business plan, enough funds to support themselves, and employ local (Portuguese or EU) nationals.

The process of obtaining this visa is not as complicated as in some other countries. 

On the VISXA platform, we have enough qualified partners to address such cases.

3) Golden Visa. To obtain this visa, the foreigner has to invest not less than a fixed price in property. 

Golden Visa is a 5-year visa. After its expiration, the investor can apply for permanent residence and then for a Portuguese passport. This program doesn’t require staying in the country but allows visiting all the countries in the Schengen area.

In Portugal, the tax rates are lower than in many EU countries. And if you want to have such benefits as a low tax rate, you should stop being a tax resident in your home country.

To learn more about immigration to Portugal, fill in the short form and book a free 15 minutes consultation.

share this
Mohammed Aboshanab
Immigration Expert